I didn't believe it until I tried making it myself: butter-less cookies. So many doubts ran through my head like how will this cookie hold together without butter? Will it still have the soft and chewy texture of a typical chocolate chip cookie? Will it taste nice? Well, to begin with, I was looking for a cookie dough recipe without butter, not because I'm extremely health conscious (yes, I'm working on being slightly healthier, well you know better), but because I ran out of butter. OH NO! WHAT? NO BUTTER!? But don't worry, these cookies have saved the day!
These cookies are just as soft and as chewy as a typical chocolate chip cookie. And guess what? It's easy and healthy. YAY! They are slightly crumbly yet contain no traces of butter. If in doubt, immediately try this recipe and you'll change your mind about this cookie dough.
Pecan and chocolate is nice together too, I've seen Joy the Baker make it before. Cherries and white chocolate are another awesome combination made by her too. However today I'd like walnuts, chocolate and cranberries in my cookie.
When shared with loved ones, these big hearty cookies are just right.
Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest
Makes 24-30 cookies
2 1/2 cups traditional rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup canola oil (I used rice bran oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup cranberries
1 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 2-3 baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, oil and eggs. Add vanilla and combine well.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Combine the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Then add in oats, chocolate chips, cranberries and walnuts. The dough will be crumbly.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop spoonfuls of the mixture and place on the prepared baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from tray. Last 4 days stored in an airtight container.