Tuesday 12 March 2013

Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

I didn't believe it until I tried making it myself: butter-less cookies. So many doubts ran through my head like how will this cookie hold together without butter? Will it still have the soft and chewy texture of a typical chocolate chip cookie? Will it taste nice? Well, to begin with, I was looking for a cookie dough recipe without butter, not because I'm extremely health conscious (yes, I'm working on being slightly healthier, well you know better), but because I ran out of butter. OH NO! WHAT? NO BUTTER!? But don't worry, these cookies have saved the day!
These cookies are just as soft and as chewy as a typical chocolate chip cookie. And guess what? It's easy and healthy. YAY! They are slightly crumbly yet contain no traces of butter. If in doubt, immediately try this recipe and you'll change your mind about this cookie dough.
With the addition of a touch of cinnamon and a pinch of salt, these cookies will make you drool over the counter satisfy your cookie cravings.
Mix and match and substitute the chocolate chips with some walnuts and cranberries. Pecan and chocolate is nice together too, I've seen Joy the Baker make it before. Cherries and white chocolate are another awesome combination made by her too. However today I'd like walnuts, chocolate and cranberries in my cookie.
Can you see the walnut chunks? I didn't even bother to chop it up, and I like the big crunch from the walnut pieces. The dried cranberries give a slight twist and tang which complements the bittersweet dark chocolate bits and crunchy walnut pieces.
When shared with loved ones, these big hearty cookies are just right.

Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest

Makes 24-30 cookies

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups traditional rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup canola oil (I used rice bran oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup cranberries
1 cup walnuts

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 2-3 baking trays with baking paper.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, oil and eggs. Add vanilla and combine well.
  3. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. 
  4. Combine the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Then add in oats, chocolate chips, cranberries and walnuts. The dough will be crumbly. 
  5. Using a tablespoon, scoop spoonfuls of the mixture and place on the prepared baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from tray. Last 4 days stored in an airtight container.

1 comments:

  1. Ooo I like! Sometimes I just don't like using butter.. just knowing how much goes into cookies or cakes.. so this will make me feel healthier =p haha! thanks for sharing! Loved the recycled jars you put them in ^^

    ReplyDelete

 

Yes, I can bake. Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template