Sunday 17 February 2013

Oh, there's soy sauce in this?

I splash soy sauce in soups. I fry it up in stir fries. I bake it in meats. I steam it in fish. One thing I've never done with it is mix it in my cookie batter.

I'm born Australian. I'm actually of Taiwanese decent. I'm no good at cooking. I'm actually into baking. But how did soy sauce end up in this sweet batter of cookie dough?


I like chocolate. I like cookies. I like chocolate in my cookies. I like cookies in my chocolate. How did soy sauce come between this match made under heaven?


For the record, this odd combination is decadent and delectable.

Tell people it's a cookie. Tell people is got chocolate in it. Tell people it's got soy sauce in it. "Oh", they might say, but they'll savour every bite of it (and come back for seconds, maybe, if there's any left).


Try something different. It's okay to be different. Just be brave.

Sesame and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Joy the Baker

makes 20 to 24 cookies

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (225 grams) I salted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon soy sauce (yes, be brave)
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
1 cup dark chocolate chips
about 1/4 cup black sesame seeds for rolling

Directions:
1. Line two or three baking trays with baking paper. Set aside and we'll preheat oven after chilling the dough.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In large bowl, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add egg and yolk and beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Don't forget to scrape down sides.
5. Beat in vanilla and soy sauce.
6. Stop mixer and add in dry ingredients, all at once to butter mixture. Beat on low speed until just combined.
7. Stop the mixture, add the 2 tablespoons sesame seeds and chocolate chunks, and fold together.
8. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for 45 minutes (or overnight). Just before you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
9. Place 1/4 cup black sesame seeds in small bowl. Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoonful into your hand. Roll into a ball and sprinkle the sesame seeds on.
10. Place on prepared baking trays. Bake about 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from oven and cool completely. Cookies will last a day or two. The oils on seeds tend to go rancid, so cookies are best eaten within a few days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Yes, I can bake. Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template