Saturday 29 October 2011

Egg Egg EGG Tarts

I love love LOVE egg tarts. When I tried one from a Taiwanese KFC store, it was so good...yes, who would have thought KFC would have such a sweet treat as these. So I searched for a recipe, simple, fast, and easy that would re-create the moment and the taste of that egg tart from KFC. 


When I stumbled across this recipe, it seemed like exactly what I needed, well, wanted. It seemed simple enough, easy enough and fast, not like fast-food fast but you know, it didn't take too long to make. I had faith in this recipe as my friend had also tried it.


These little treats were even better than what I expected and I had to take a closer look at them to remember what I had that day in KFC, but I have better memories now of a personalized egg tart. Even my mom loved this recipe, and she didn't stop at one and neither did any of my siblings as a matter of fact. You can tell what is a good bake and what isn't, this was an exceptionally good bake.


Cantonese Egg Tarts
Makes 12

Ingredients:

tart
225 grams plain flour 
125 grams butter softened
55 grams icing sugar
1 egg whisked
dash of vanilla

custard
3 eggs
110 grams caster sugar
225 grams hot water
85 grams evaporated milk (I used fresh whole milk instead)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Directions:
tart...
  1. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in the whisked egg bit by bit while continuing with the beating of the mixture.
  3. Add in the the dash of vanilla essence while continuing with the beating of mixture.
  4. Sift the plain flour into the mixture and knead, slowly incorporating everything.
  5. Roll out to 1/2 cm thick dough and cut out circles. Mold these into individual tart tins or a muffin baking tray.
  6. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
custard...
  1. Add the sugar and hot water together and mix until sugar is fully dissolved. 
  2. Whisk the egg with the milk in a separate bowl, and then pour this into the mixture while stirring the sugar water mix so that the egg does not become cooked.
  3. Pour the mixture through a strainer once or twice.
  4. Pour these into the molds and divide evenly among the 12 or so tarts.
  5. Bake the egg tarts at 180 degrees Celsius now for 15 minutes. If the custard starts to burn during that period, open the oven door slightly (10 cm opening) to allow heat to escape. Continue to bake the tarts another 10-15 minutes with the oven door slightly opened to ensure the custard is baked well (or else you'll have little egg-y volcanoes later).
  6. Allow to cool and serve warmed or cold, both ways taste yummy to me :P


Recipe's original baker:  http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2009/03/cantonese-egg-tarts-recipe.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Yes, I can bake. Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template