Monday 15 October 2012

That Leftover Oatmeal

 It used to be a nuisance having leftover oatmeal because my mom loved cooking big batches for the family in the morning. She believes oatmeal is one of the healthiest foods there is, and it does tastes good with bananas, berries, nuts, dried fruits, or even honey. You can eat oatmeal in so many different ways. So what happens to that leftover oatmeal after everyone has taken their share?

    
Some days she would reheat it and eat it (but honestly I don't think it tastes as nice as when it's freshly cooked in the mornings). Some days it would be thrown away. I tried eating cold oatmeal with assorted toppings but it just doesn't taste that nice. People say it taste good with ice cream or yogurt but I beg to differ. So   I used the leftover oatmeal to make some oatmeal waffle cookies.
The internet is a great place for sharing recipe ideas. Just google whatever item it is you want to use up and it'll come up with thousands of ideas-too many for anyone to sift through. So I picked the first recipe that sounded good.


Enjoy for afternoon tea or save it for the next day, either way it's delicious!

Oatmeal Waffle Cookies
Makes 4-6

1 cup leftover oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup of plain flour, sifted (I used one cup to make a thicker batter)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup milk chocolate chips 
2 eggs

Directions:
  1. Combine butter and brown sugar in a bowl using a whisk.
  2. Whisk in eggs one at a time until the mixture has a nice consistency. Then add vanilla essence and mix.
  3. Add in plain flour and baking soda and stir into the mixture.
  4. Add in chocolate chips and combine into the mixture.
  5. Prepare the waffle mold and pour the batter in (I half-filled it) and bake until desired preference (I prefer mine crispier so I cooked it for about two minutes). Serve immediately with ice cream or store it in an air tight container. 
Note: You could substitute the 1 cup leftover oatmeal with 1 1/2 of rolled oats. You can also substitute the chocolate chips with dried fruits.


1 comments:

  1. waffles yum! I think you have the same waffle machine as me ^^" haven't used it in a while though.. i should~ and yes i agree! google is a bakers best friend :P

    ReplyDelete

 

Yes, I can bake. Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template