My mom needed something to treat the children. So I happened to flip to a gingerbread men recipe, which I had all the ingredients for but no cookie cutter template of men.
My mom absolutely adored these little cookies, but I look forward to hearing what the children think.
Gingerbread Bears, Hearts and Flowers
125 grams butter at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 cup golden sugar (I used honey)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add egg yolk and beat to combine.
- Sift dry ingredients together, then stir into butter mixture with golden syrup (honey). Mix and combine until it resembles a dough, then knead gently on a floured surface until smooth.
- Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until about 3mm thick. Cut gingerbread cookies with cookie-cutters (continue rolling and cutting to make more), and then place in the oven to bake 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Decorate with desired toppings or icing sugar.
Source of recipe: Cookies-Collectors Edition.