The puffs turned out a little flatter than expected and know why...they were slightly under cooked and deflated as a result. It's really important to know your oven, and I don't think my oven is hot enough at times also the front right corner is not as hot as the other three corners of the oven. So better to have the puffs a little browner to make sure it stays nice and puffy rather than flat when you're impatient to wait for it to bake properly.
Anyways I still continued on with the fillings and things. I don't like wasting materials. Where possible, I try to conserve resources yet I'm not much of a environmentalist but it doesn't hurt us to try and save resources right? It would definitely hurt the environment if we didn't try.
Strawberry Custard Puffs
Makes 9 large puffs
85 grams plain flour
75 ml water
75 ml whole milk
65 grams butter
2 eggs and 1 egg white
1 tablespoon of sugar
a pinch of salt
you can find the recipe here...
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius
- Sift the flour and set aside.
- Heat the water, milk, butter, salt and sugar until full on boiling so that the fat disperses on top of the boiling water.
- Turn off heat and quickly stir in flour with a wooden spoon and continue to add the flour as fast as you can without adding it all at once or the mixture will form clumps. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the mixture forms a dough and comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Let the mixture cool slightly so the eggs don't cook when added in. Beat the 3 eggs. Add a little bit of egg at a time and stir each time until egg is incorporated in mixture (about 5-6 separate additions).
- Pipe them into about 9 dome-looking puffs.
- Bake at 220 degrees for 15 minutes then turn down the heat to 180-185 degrees for another 10 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this time as the rising puffs will deflate because you let some heat out.
- Make the custard cream and refrigerate
- Allow puffs to cool. Pipe or spoon the fillings into the puffs just before serving. Best served within the day it is baked otherwise store in a airtight space.