Thursday 27 October 2011

Macaron Motivation

After I attempted this recipe and succeeded, I thought I could conquer the whole wide world. Now I'm just exaggerating, but I was really happy and inspired after this worked out. I know many have attempted this and many have succeeded. Actually my first attempt was a failure and after that I think I said I would never try making macarons again. 


I am the kind of person that gives up easily when met with failure. However, I am also the kind of person that forgets easily and tries again. Strange huh...nevertheless, I used this recipe to conquer my baking fears and victory is mine for today! It gives me motivation to venture into unexplored baking recipes for future bakes.


Coffee Buttercream Macarons
Makes about 30 macaroons 


Ingredients:
Shell
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
7/8 cup almond meal
1/2 cup egg whites
2 tablespoons caster sugar
2-3 drops of food colouring


Buttercream
1 cup (170g) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions:
Shell...


  1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius and line three baking trays with baking paper.
  2. Stir icing sugar and almond meal together then sift it thoroughly (about 3-4 times).
  3. Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites on low speed gradually increasing the speed until the whites are frothy.
  4. Add half the caster sugar in gradually while mixing at high speed and beat for 2 minutes before adding the other half and beating until the whites form stiff peaks. Do not over beat. You can tell it's ready when the whites look glossy and slightly curves when you hold it up.
  5. Add 1/3 of the almond icing sugar mixture into the egg whites and fold gently. Continue to add 1/3 and fold in until the mixture is just mixed. Do not over mix. You can tell it's ready when the mixture look runny when you scoop it out.
  6. Line a tray with grease proof baking paper and put mixture into a piping bag. Pipe 2cm diameter dots on the tray about 2cm apart from each other.
  7. Bake about 17 minutes or until very light brown. Allow to cool and then peel shells gently off baking paper.
Buttercream...
  1. With an electric mixer, beat the butter until it is light and fluffy.
  2. Add the icing sugar and mix on low speed.
  3. Dissolve the flavourings in the hot water and drizzle into the mixture.
  4. Chill at least 2 hours before using. You will find it's easier to pipe when the buttercream is soft but not too soft. Pipe the macarons with buttercream and make little sandwiches.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Yes, I can bake. Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template